You know that feeling, when you’re in the kitchen and you just feel inspired to create?
Yea, me neither.
Typically my kitchen looks like a bomb went off. There’s a half emptied dishwasher left open and a toddler trying to climb inside. There are mysterious crumbs all over the floor and it’s not uncommon to step on something squishy and wet. There are a few toys scattered around in an attempt to distract O, when all he wants to do is play with the stove. Oh, and there is a mysterious smell coming from the green bin under the sink.
So, while once upon a time, I used to draw dinner inspiration from the ingredients in my fridge, these days I draw inspiration from Googling “Easy and Fast Meal Ideas that require minimal clean up” and pray that I have all the ingredients in my fridge/cupboard.
That’s how these yummy sandwiches came to fruition. Ok, I’d actually seen these on Pinterest awhile back and thought they looks simple and yummy. I WAS going to make them a bit spicy, but since O eats mostly what we eat now, I opted out.
These were SO yummy. Like, I would just eat the chicken and the peppers, forget the bun. O loveddddddddddddddd the chicken. He couldn’t get enough. He also liked the peppers too, which surprised me. We’re still working on veggies.
The only thing I would change next time is getting a better bun. I’m all about the bun to meat ratio and there was WAYYYY too much bread. That was my own fault though, maybe next time I’ll just make my own.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh dear.
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken with Roasted Peppers
Original BBQ Chicken Recipe by Family Fresh Meals
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours 15 mins
- 2-3 Sweet Peppers (Red, Yellow and/or Orange)
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- 1 cup your fave BBQ Sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt & Pepper
- Fresh Buns
- Set oven to “Broil” on low. Make sure your oven rack is in the middle. If it’s too close to the element, there is a good chance your peppers will scorch too quickly.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Cut your peppers in half and remove seeds and membranes (the white stuff on the inside).
- Place peppers insides-down on the baking sheet and pop in the oven. It really depends on the oven for how long this will take, but keep a close eye. You’ll know they’re done when the outside skin is charred and the peppers are soft.
- Put cooked peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit for 30 mins or so. This will make it easier to peel the skin off the peppers.
- When you’re able to, peel skin off peppers. Cut into strips and set aside until ready to use.
- Combine BBQ sauce, brown sugar and Worcestershire Sauce in a bowl. Set aside.
- Place chicken in slow cooker. Add a small amount of salt and pepper to chicken. Cover with BBQ sauce mixture.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours. Check chicken at 3 hours. It should easily shred with two forks. If t doesn’t leave for another hour or so.
- When cooked, shred chicken and mix together with the sauce.
- Serve immediately on fresh, crusty buns and top with peppers.
Seriously – easiest. meal. ever. You could make it even easier by eliminating the peppers (but they are SOOOO good).